Search This Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes - with video

Remember that Harris Teeter starts Super Doubles this Wednesday, 2/20. Matchups are already showing up, so you can start printing the internet coupons now to prepare.

So, earlier this week we talked about the benefits of homemade snack foods and the convenience of prepackaged foods. Now, we're going to combine the two.

A couple of years ago, I got an electric griddle on sale for under $20 at a local department store. I love this thing. It takes no time to heat up, fits perfectly on the counter, is a breeze to clean, and I can knock out breakfast in minutes.

When you start couponing, you may end up with odd quantities of things on hand. A few months back, I stocked up on some 'complete' pancake mix. What I love about this sort of mix is that it's shelf-stable and only requires water for mixing. You don't have to worry about whether you have eggs or milk on hand in order to whip up a quick, hot breakfast. I got up one morning this week and asked the kids if they wanted pancakes. They grumbled a bit. I think they're more on a waffle kick these days. I compromised by making cinnamon roll pancakes. I didn't need to make the pancake batter from scratch, though; it works just as well with a box mix.

Now, if you read the instructions, it seems kind of complicated, but it's really not... and it's so worth it. They're very rich, so I wouldn't serve these up every day. In fact, they're a special breakfast that my kids only get every few months. The key is to mix the filling first, so it's ready as soon as you put the first pancake in the pan. I lined a bowl with a gallon freezer bag, filled it with the cinnamon mixture, and didn't snip the corner until I was ready to use it. Know what? This would be easier if I just showed you the process.



I whipped up the cream cheese topping while the pancakes cooled. The kids scarfed 'em up immediately.


Next up: Homemade bread

No comments:

Post a Comment