Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Updated matchups and improvisation

Super Doubles starts tomorrow at Harris Teeter! MoolaSavingMom has updated her list, and SouthernSavers now has their first list and one to match the weekly ad. I probably won't be able to go until I get out of class tomorrow night, so don't clear all the shelves, okay?

When you're planning your trips, you might be hesitant to stock up on particular items that you use less often. I'll admit there's a balance in there, somewhere. It's fabulous to get a great deal on something you'll use; getting a great deal on something that you'll never use is just a waste of time and money. Even though I've been doing this for a few years, I still end up with odd quantities of stuff now and then. This is when we improvise in the kitchen.

It snowed here this weekend. We were low on milk, but we were snug indoors and neither of us felt like braving the stores to jostle in line with the Bread! Milk! Beer! folks who crowd the aisles any time weather threatens. This is a perfect example of how couponing comes in handy.

The hubbie rummaged around in the pantry and came up with a box of hamburger helper. No hamburger or beef, and no milk in the fridge. However, I do keep cans of evaporated milk in the cabinet. Our younger kid is a milk monster, and I never know when I'm going to wake up and find the carton empty. I cannot function without milk for my morning coffee. Evaporated milk is great for cooking and an acceptable substitute for my morning java.
  • Tip #1: Keep an eye out for deals on any shelf-stable basic ingredients, especially around the holidays. Though less common than coupons for other products, every now and then you will find deals on flour, sugar, salt, spices, evaporated milk, vinegar, baking powder, baking soda, etc. These staples just make sense, on their own merit, and are the key to pulling together meals you otherwise couldn't.
Next, I looked in the freezer. I tend to snag a variety of meats and store the spares away for later. I came up with a bag of beef meatballs I'd gotten with coupons for about 50 cents.
  • Tip #2: Freshly butchered meat is not usually a couponable item. Breakfast meats, frozen chicken, frozen meatballs, and frozen fish are frequently on sale and if you can match a coupon to them, you're paying less than a buck for something that can anchor a meal. 


I popped the meatballs in the oven and got started on the pasta. When I substitute evaporated milk in a recipe, I use approximately equal parts canned milk and water to reach the measurement needed for a recipe.

Verdict? The pasta was a little more flavorful than usual, but it hit the spot. If I were to try this again, I'd probably add extra pasta to balance it out a bit.


Next up: What does your family like?

No comments:

Post a Comment